The African Futures Institute is managed by a Board of Trustees made up of thirteen members. These are:
- Prof. Abdoulaye Bathily, Senegalese, Professor in History at Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal.
- Prof. Alioune Sall, Senegalese, Sociologist, Executive Director, African Futures Institute, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Prof. Archie Mafeje, South African, Professor in Social Sciences, UNISA, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Mrs Betty Maina, Kenyan, Director, Policy Solutions, Nairobi, Kenya,
- Mrs Comfort Lamptey, Ghanaian, Lawyer, United Nations, New York.
- Dr. Eddy Maloka, South African, Executive Director, African Institute of South Africa (AISA , Pretoria, South Africa).
- Mr. Jacques Giri, French, Chairman, Societés et Développements, Paris, France.
- Prof. Luc Sindjoun, Cameroonian, Political Science lecturer, Yaoundé II University, Cameroon.
- Mrs Madeleine Mukamabano, Rwandese, Journalist, Radio France Internationale, Paris, France.
- Dr. Nansozi K. Muwanga, Ugandan national, Political Science Lecturer, Makerere University, Uganda,
- Prof. Samir Amin, Egyptian, Director, Third World Forum, Dakar, Sénégal.
- Mrs Sibongile Mkhabela, South African, Director, The Nelson Mandela Children's Fund, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Amb. Vijay S. Makhan, Secretary of State, Port Louis, Republic of Mauritius.
The Board of Trustees held its first meeting on 17-18 June 2004 in Pretoria. A Bureau made up of the following three members was elected: Prof. Abdoulaye Bathily (Chairman), Mrs Betty Maïna (Vice-Chair), and Mr Alioune Sall (Board Secretary and Executive Director).